Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Frequency Based Schedules

2009-06-02 11:32:20
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Frequency Based Schedules
From: Ed Wilts <ewilts AT ewilts DOT org>
To: "Hudson, Steve" <Steve.Hudson AT ironmountain DOT com>
Date: Tue, 2 Jun 2009 10:29:02 -0500
On Tue, Jun 2, 2009 at 9:22 AM, Hudson, Steve <Steve.Hudson AT ironmountain DOT com> wrote:

Hello Guru’s … We are struggling with this scenario. We are a Netbackup 6.5.3.1 shop and recently discovered that using Frequency Based Schedules that a Monthly Full backup and a Weekly Full backup for the same client will run on the same weekend. What are we doing Wrong?? I know if we used Calendar based Schedules for the Monthlys and excluded these dates from the Weeklys it would solve the problem but surely there must be a better way. Thanks in advance…

You're not doing anything wrong - it's designed to work this way.

If you really want to avoid it, set a single window for the weekend, but then you could get into the opposite problem - if the weekly is due Saturday and the monthly on Sunday, you'll run the weekly on  Saturday and skip the monthly completely.

If you used Calendar-based scheduling, you could also find yourself with some issues - for example, if you excluded the weekly from running and the monthly failed, you'd get nothing.

And nobody but you really knows the difference between a weekly and a monthly - do you leave one onsite and take the other offsite?  If so, don't you actually want both to run?  What if one went to a remote tape drive and the other to a loal de-dupe appliance?

    .../Ed

Ed Wilts, RHCE, BCFP, BCSD, SCSP, SCSE
ewilts AT ewilts DOT org