Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] NB 6.5.3 slow response for administrative tasks

2009-05-31 01:09:40
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] NB 6.5.3 slow response for administrative tasks
From: "bob944" <bob944 AT attglobal DOT net>
To: <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Sun, 31 May 2009 01:06:18 -0400
> What I'm seeing is really poor response when adding or
> changing backup policy specifications.  Sometimes to
> update the backup windows via the Admin console, it
> takes longer than 2 minutes - even when there is no
> other activity.
>
> I've also seen significant pauses when
> activating/deactivating policies via the command line.

This sounds suspiciously like things that happen with
name-resolution issues (as noted by Brown), especially storage unit
hostnames (a bogus STU would add 300 seconds to the start of any
policy, for instance).

You might mention which of NetBackup's dozen
incoherently/inconsistently named consoles you are using, where the
console is being run, and whether the command-line equivalent of all
the oddities exhibit the same delays.

vxlog output going back the two minutes or so it takes to run one of
the operations might be useful if all the Troubleshooting Guide name
resolution tests are successful.  And pbx, ports, firewalls, the
goofy Linux inetd and patches, ...