Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Single Node Linux NFS Server Flashbackup

2009-05-27 21:49:28
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Single Node Linux NFS Server Flashbackup
From: "Martin, Jonathan" <JMARTI05 AT intersil DOT com>
To: <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Wed, 27 May 2009 21:46:11 -0400
Considering our success with Flashbackup on Windows, I'm hoping to pitch the same for a new NFS file server we're looking to implement.  Unfortunately, I don't know much about VxFS.  Has anyone implemented this successfully with RHEL 5 in a NFS server configuration with multiple terabytes of data?  Does anyone know what pricing and options I'll need for Storage Foundation?  I'm assuming I'll simply present the space and then use some new command line tools to format the volume with VxFS.  After it is formatted, would you say that volume more or less similarly to a ext3 or ext4 volume (permissions, NFS etc..)  Other than the native NBU client, NDMP and hardware based solutions, does anyone have any other ideas on quickly moving large amount of NFS file data? (Millions of small files etc..)

If I've got to get my Ph.D. in VxFS to pull this off I don't know that its worth it.

-Jonathan