Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Encryption and compression

2009-05-22 09:48:45
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Encryption and compression
From: Travis Kelley <rhatguy AT gmail DOT com>
To: James Pattinson <jamesp AT hisser DOT org>, veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Fri, 22 May 2009 09:45:13 -0400
Yoiu are correct that encrypted data is not compressible.  Netbackups
client based encrytion knows this and will apply compression first
then encryption.  If you use client based encryption, then client
based compression is your onlu option.  Hardware compression on your
tape drives will be effectively worthless.

On 5/22/09, James Pattinson <jamesp AT hisser DOT org> wrote:
> Hi All
>
> Does anyone know if NetBackup's client encryption option compresses the
> data before it's encrypted?
>
> If not am I right in assuming that this data won't be compressible even
> by hardware compression afterwards :)
>
> Cheers
> James

Sent from my mobile device