Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Policy types

2009-05-15 12:01:46
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Policy types
From: "Donaldson, Mark" <Mark.Donaldson AT Staples DOT com>
To: <VERITAS-BU AT MAILMAN.ENG.AUBURN DOT EDU>
Date: Fri, 15 May 2009 09:57:51 -0600
Some people swear by the one-client, one-policy method.  I'm not one of
them.

The only reason I can see to do this is the ease of turning off backups
for a client.  In 9+ years of doing Netbackup, I think I've done this
less than a half-dozen times.  Even with multiple clients per policy,
you can do this with a "bpclient" command by setting "jobs per client"
to zero.

I like grouping.  I have 5 unix policies & 5 windows policies that
contain the great majority of my clients.  Each policy has a different
full backup night so I distribute my full backups across the week.  I
try to add clients to each policy based on the volume each policy does,
adding a new client to the policy with the current, least volume of
weekly backups. (I've got a little shell script that prints out one
week's totals that I use.)

My filelists for backup are "/" with "Cross mountpoints" checked and I
manage what shouldn't be backed up via exclude lists.  If somebody
alters a server, changes the mountpoints, etc. the policies just catch
the change auto-magically.

Now, all that said, about 20% of my servers need special treatment.
Firewalled servers can't back up to anything but my central master
server (firewall rules) so they need different storage units.  I have a
pair of policies for firewalled servers as a result.

I have a group of NT servers that only need the "C" & "D" drives backed
up so their in their own policy with a fixed include list.'

There's a couple more one-off policies for special-purpose or
"special-needs" servers.

But, in general, I like the use of multiple clients per policy and think
it great reduces administration time.

HTH - M