Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] AIX 4.3.3 Client

2009-05-15 08:34:06
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] AIX 4.3.3 Client
From: "Jeff Lightner" <jlightner AT water DOT com>
To: <scott.george AT parker DOT com>, <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Fri, 15 May 2009 08:30:50 -0400
We have some ancient HP-UX 10.x systems that we now backup on an old NBU
5.1 install to an old 2 drive unit we have.   There is no reason to make
the rest of your infrastructure hold back due to ancient clients.

Also pointing out that the hardware, OS and the backup solution (and
likely whatever app you're running on AIX) is all unsupported might
encourage management to think about migrating.

It took us a few years of repeatedly mentioning this whenever the
environment is brought up to make management think about moving things.
A year ago they finally did move the bulk of the old app off to
something new and there is a project to move the one last bit off by
June.   Sometimes System Administration is about extended campaigning
rather than quick fixes.  You don't have to be in "in your face" about
it on a daily basis but do need to make sure you remind folks whenever
the environment is discussed (especially if it goes down for some
reason).