Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Policy types

2009-05-14 17:32:59
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Policy types
From: Ed Wilts <ewilts AT ewilts DOT org>
To: Steve Quan <sq01 AT yorku DOT ca>
Date: Thu, 14 May 2009 16:29:48 -0500
On Thu, May 14, 2009 at 3:23 PM, Steve Quan <sq01 AT yorku DOT ca> wrote:

How does this affect NBU scheduler performance ? We were told that having many policies is a bad thing, because of scheduler issues.

We're at 415 policies currently and we're not in the class of some of the larger sites with thousands or tens-of-thousands of clients.

We haven't noticed a hit on scheduler performance but Symantec has done a lot of work around the scheduler performance in each release and we try to keep somewhat close to current.  I wouldn't want to have 5000 policies on 6.0MP1 :-)

I've found that the ease of manageability far outweighs any possible performance degradation.  It's a whole lot easier to see if a client has a policy, temporarily deactivate one, clone a client, etc.

NetBackup forces you into many policies anyway.  Whether it's a Windows file cluster with multiple virtual servers, or a database hosts, or a set of file systems you need processed with Flashbackup , the implementation forces you into many policies anyway.  I've got a single host with about 40 policies and that's using the official recommendations from Symantec for how to back this sucker up.

   .../Ed

---