Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Clear Case Backups

2009-05-12 11:33:20
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Clear Case Backups
From: "Jeff Lightner" <jlightner AT water DOT com>
To: "David Turner" <Dturner AT manh DOT com>, <VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Tue, 12 May 2009 11:30:05 -0400

We don’t use Clear Case but a couple of ideas occur to me:

1)       You can shutdown the Clear Case DB then backup the filesystems or raw devices where it is stored.   (We do this for Oracle DBs on vxfs filesystems that we don’t use RMAN for as well as one older Oracle DB in raw space – mostly on HP-UX).

2)       Most DBs have a “dump” facility where you can dump out the contents to a file.  You can then backup that file.   Later you can restore by recreating the schema(s) and loading the DB dump back into the DB.