Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Netbackup 6.5 DSSU fragmentation

2009-05-06 12:19:37
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Netbackup 6.5 DSSU fragmentation
From: cpreston <netbackup-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>
To: VERITAS-BU AT MAILMAN.ENG.AUBURN DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 06 May 2009 12:16:28 -0400

owiking wrote:
> Im having problems with my diskstage getting to fragmented and thus getting
> very slow performance when duplicating to tape. Running defrag isnt an option
> since the files are reaplced fequently and the defrag job will take to long
> time to run.  From what Ive seen and read, this is a major problem for alot
> os users of Netbackup.thanks

This IS a common problem that people have, and is one of the reasons that some
people prefer VTLs.  VTLs have a specialized file/storage system that is
designed to handle the types of I/O that backups create.  Regular filesystems
are designed to support random I/O, where backups are very sequential I/O.

The only thing you can do to minimize fragmentation in your setup is to
completely fill and completely empty the system every night.  When the
diskstaging cache is completely emptied, then backups written from that point
on will not be fragmented.

However, if you are going to completely empty your cache, do so just before
your backup so that last night's backup is around as long as possible for
restores.