Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Backup image - folder size check

2009-05-04 15:39:24
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Backup image - folder size check
From: A Darren Dunham <ddunham AT taos DOT com>
To: VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Mon, 4 May 2009 19:36:13 +0000
On Sat, May 02, 2009 at 02:27:20PM -0400, sachinar1 wrote:

> HI All,
>
> I need to know how can I check size of folder which is there in Weekly
> Full Backup image. This folder contains 100's of sub folder and
> thousands of files. I need to provide the exact size of data that will
> be restored to VIP customer. My problem is that all folders in restore
> windows shows 0 bytes, so its not feasible to check thousands of file
> for their sizes and add them up. So is ther any cmd or way by which i
> can get exact size of folder showing in backup images?

I don't know any command that would generate it for you directly.  Best
I can think of is to get every file out of 'bpflist'.  Then if it
matches the folder you want to restore, record the size.  At the end add
them all up and you'll have an estimate.

> My 2nd issue ...I want to check what all files got backed up in a
> particular media.

That's similar to the first issue.  The data is there, but there's no
command that generates the information you want directly.

'bpflist' has the offset of the file within the data stream.  And the
'bpimagelist' output shows which offsets are on which volumes.  So by
matching them up, you can see which files are on which volumes.

Writing a script to generate the data wouldn't be too difficult.  I just
haven't heard of anyone doing so.

--
Darren