Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] NetBackup long retention does dedup help

2009-05-04 13:30:10
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] NetBackup long retention does dedup help
From: "Jeff Lightner" <jlightner AT water DOT com>
To: "Ed Wilts" <ewilts AT ewilts DOT org>, "Harmon, Patricia K." <PHarmon AT tecoenergy DOT com>
Date: Mon, 4 May 2009 13:26:57 -0400

Right – it saves you SOME tape (assuming it is not all unique as mentioned below) because you do initial backups to disk and only send your duplicates to tape.   While you can get major compression/deduplication on the disk images the duplicates on tape will be the same size they always were because it is undeduped (reduped?) when it goes to tape.   It did save us money on tape because now we only have the offsite stuff on tape.

You can eliminate tape entirely if you use something like Data Domain (deduplication) as it allows you to have an offsite unit that syncs data from the onsite unit.  Of course you’d have to work out what you were going to do for DR in such a model.  (e.g. Ship the offsite unit to DR site after declaring or keep the offsite unit at the DR site – driven by whether you own the DR site or not I imagine.)