Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Backing up multiple Oracle db's from a single host

2009-05-01 11:48:12
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Backing up multiple Oracle db's from a single host
From: nellis <netbackup-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>
To: VERITAS-BU AT MAILMAN.ENG.AUBURN DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 01 May 2009 11:45:00 -0400
I went ahead and opened a case with Symantec. What they said was that
restarting the Job ID from activity monitor "WOULD" restart the parent Job ID
and in turn would rerun the backup for all clients which are a member of the
policy as well as all scripts listed in the backup selection.

They suggested, as was posted here, to create one script per db. When a backup
of a single instance fails, someone from our NOC or a DBA would need to
manually run the script associated with the DB that failed from the client side.

It would be great if initiating a manual backup of a policy configured for a
type other than Windows NT or Standard would present the option to choose an
object from the backup selection field but that simply does not exist today.

 They also said that while the request for a policy for each DB could be done
technically, it not always optimal. It really depends on many variables of
course for each environment. So what works for one company may not be optimal
for ours. They suggested that for our environment, because we have Oracle
servers hosting upwards of 20 instances on a single host not to create a single
policy for each db / script. If we did, it would most likely become an issue
with scheduling. Schedules would over lap due to the window size and time
required to backup each DB. That would then create an issue performance as each
policy would spawn its own set of bp processes.

So given the variables for our environment, the best practice is to run manual
backups from the client side using the unique DB scripts the DBA?s create.

Again, thanks to all that replied!