Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Backing up multiple Oracle db's from a single host

2009-05-01 09:40:43
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Backing up multiple Oracle db's from a single host
From: ckstehman AT pepco DOT com
To: VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Fri, 1 May 2009 09:37:26 -0400

We use RMAN and the Netbackup agent to backup our Oracle instances, one RMAN job per instance.
In our enviornment the DBA's schedule their jobs using cron or Maestro.  They start a script that runs the
backups. They may run multlple scripts on one host.
 The backups are not scheduled by Netbackup.  If the backup fails they re-run their script..  Most of the
RMAN backup failures are a 6 error code, Netbackup does not know what caused the error, the DBA looks at
the RMAN script log to find the problem, and re-runs the job if needed.

I am not sure what happens if there is a media write error, or a media mount error.  We don't get them very often.

Hope this helps.

----------------------------------
Carl Stehman
Distributed Services
Pepcoholdings, Inc.
701 Ninth St NW
Washington DC 20068
202-331-6619
------------------------------------

nellis <netbackup-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>
Sent by: veritas-bu-bounces AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu

04/30/2009 08:36 PM
Please respond to
VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu

VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
cc
Subject
[Veritas-bu]  Backing up multiple Oracle db's from a single host

Hello everyone, first I'll go ahead and apologize for such a long post.

I'd like to ask everyone; what works best for those of you backing up multiple Oracle db's from a single host. I have several Oracle 10g servers I backup. Each has anywhere from 1 to 20 db instances. I use a single policy and a common path & script name to backup the Oracle servers. This for me keeps the number of policies I have to manage down to a minimum.

Our dba's have asked for one policy to be setup per DB. The reasoning behind this is that they want the flexibility to restart a failed backup without the restart initiating a backup of all DB's on servers. I told them that what they should be doing on failed DB backups is from the "activity monitor", right click on the failed Job ID and select restart.

Here is where my lack of "in depth knowledge" of how NBU works with the Oracle RMAN API when a single stream fails.

They asked, how does NBU know to just restart the backup for the DB that failed? The best "high level" reply I could come up with was that NBU tracks which DB piece it's backing up in a log and when a restart is initiated, it's able to request a backup of just the DB which that piece was associated with via calls to the Oracle RMAN API.

In other words, restarting a single failed Jod ID from "activity monitor" for a backup stream associated with an Oracle backup does not mean that NBU looks at the policy and executes the backup script specified in the backup selection for all servers or just one server which is a member of that policy.

Am I wrong?
How does a restart work with Oracle?
How do you backup Oracle servers which host multiple instances?
What are the advantages and disadvantages if any with one policy per instance?

Having a policy for each to me sounds like a nightmare in more than one way but I'd REALLY appreciate anyone's input here.

Thanks in advance to everyone that replies!

This Email message and any attachment may contain information that is proprietary, legally privileged, confidential and/or subject to copyright belonging to Pepco Holdings, Inc. or its affiliates ("PHI"). This Email is intended solely for the use of the person(s) to which it is addressed. If you are not an intended recipient, or the employee or agent responsible for delivery of this Email to the intended recipient(s), you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this Email is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please immediately notify the sender and permanently delete this Email and any copies. PHI policies expressly prohibit employees from making defamatory or offensive statements and infringing any copyright or any other legal right by Email communication. PHI will not accept any liability in respect of such communications.