Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Two Simple Questions...

2009-04-30 19:03:41
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Two Simple Questions...
From: "Rosenkoetter, Gabriel" <Gabriel.Rosenkoetter AT radian DOT biz>
To: "'Frank Pettinato'" <ecpdba97 AT yahoo DOT com>, "veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu" <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2009 18:59:35 -0400

1. As you’ve already been advised, bpmedialist –m <mediaid> does this. The reason you’ve got more data than the advertised capacity on that tape is hardware compression.

2. Your question unfortunately assumes a design model different from how NetBackup deals with files that have been backed up. If you really want to go from a volser to a list of client-OS-level files on that volser, you need to first use bpimmedia –mediad <mediaid> -l to get the list of backup IDs on that media, which tells you the client name and date (in seconds since epoch) that the backup image was created, which you can then use with bplist to see what files were backed up from that client (optionally, under that policy) at that time. The reason this is such a pain to do is that there is rarely a circumstance in which this is actually something you need to know: you’re usually reinventing the catalog’s functionality any time you try to do this. What problem are you actually trying to solve here?

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
Radian Group Inc, Senior Systems Engineer