Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Puredisk experiences ?

2009-04-24 12:17:01
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Puredisk experiences ?
From: tburrell <netbackup-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>
To: VERITAS-BU AT MAILMAN.ENG.AUBURN DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2009 12:13:50 -0400
I work with Ed so I have to be careful here or he'll start throwing sharp
objects over the wall at me- but I don't agree straight-up with everything he's
said.

The Puredisk pricing model does make sense in some environments: our initial
purchase of 2 TB covered 15 offices- that's pretty good math in that scenario
(yes- I know that having servers at that scale doesn't make sense, but not my
call) and compares very well to buying tape drives for all those locations or
copying without dedupe.  When it gets ugly is when you get into sites that have
multiple TB - the numbers change drastically.

As for the idea that it should be based on post-dedupe data size: good luck
with that!  How exactly you can calculate that in advance with any confidence
has eluded me- we have everything from 20:1 to 1:1 depending on the
site/application.  You'll end up overbuying or underbuying and getting pressure
from the bean-counters to "improve your assumptions."  At least with the
pre-dedupe prices you can point at the disk and say "if you want to pay less-
shrink that."  It actually works sometimes!

You are also assuming that Symantec would charge the same price/TB if they
changed the model to post-dedupe capacity vs pre-dedupe.  Not likely- any
change is likely to be "revenue neutral" at least in the short term.

Tom Burrell

P.S: Ed -what's this "we" thing on WHS? You're on your own there, pal!  ;-)