Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Backing up XEN

2009-04-19 22:32:19
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Backing up XEN
From: Tristan Ball <Tristan.Ball AT leica-microsystems DOT com>
To: Fredrik <fredrik.dahlberg AT rps.police DOT se>
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2009 09:59:05 +1000
We use both the Citrix XEN and opensource XEN, and back up both using
either the normal Netbackup Client, installed inside the VM's (for
Windows VMs, "Tier 1" linux, or VM's larger than about 50G of disk). For
everything else we have an inhouse rsync system that copies the server
to a staging machine, which is then itself backed up by NBU. Mostly that
just saves us on NB client licensees, although historically in gave us a
way to backup systems where it was difficult to get the NBU client to
run, like older versions of debian.

The biggest issue is managing the performance - if all the VM backups
kick off in parallel, not only do the VM's themselves take a belting,
but the backend ISCSI disk array becomes loaded to the point of being
unresponsive. Not an insurmountable issue. :-)

Regards,
     T.