Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] /usr/openv on NFS

2009-04-15 14:25:06
Subject: [Veritas-bu] /usr/openv on NFS
From: loadnabox <netbackup-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>
To: VERITAS-BU AT MAILMAN.ENG.AUBURN DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2009 12:21:51 -0400
from a DR standpoint it would make more sense to keep the EMM database on a
local drive.  It's a pretty lightweight SyBase back-end and locally attached
drives do fine. Do nightly Catalog backups and send the catalog backup to the
NAS.

While you say if the NAS goes down you've got bigger problems, I would argue
that you are compounding them by completely losing your catalog and having to
rebuild it by importing tapes (depending on the media type anywhere from an
hour to eight hours PER TAPE)

You don't want your master server dependent on other systems for the catalog
and you don't want you catalog backup dependent on your master server.