Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Media servers on MSCS clusters

2009-04-09 16:49:39
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Media servers on MSCS clusters
From: "Spellacy, Sean" <Sean.Spellacy AT viha DOT ca>
To: <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Thu, 9 Apr 2009 13:46:24 -0700

Good day

I need a little clarification on some licensing.

If I remember correctly the shared storage option and the openstorage option used to be both enclosed in one option, this being openstorage correct?

I am reviewing how SAN media servers might be installed into a clustered environment.

 Specifically the Enhanced media server configuration.

On Page 115-116 of the high availability guide.

ftp://exftpp.symantec.com/pub/support/products/NetBackup_Enterprise_Server/290237.pdf

The last bullet in the installation prerequisites state that the openstorage option is require for backup to tape. This would use the shared storage option for tape would it not? This would make more sense to me if this is a typo left over from old documentation.

The usage here is to have a san media server not being failed over ( stand alone) on both nodes of a mscs cluster but running the backup policy via the cluster virtual name, the tape drives and disk Storage units would also be mapped to this Virtual name.

Has anyone used a configuration such as this? What are peoples opinions on backing up (multi TB) clustered environments?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

SSS

Sean Spellacy
Senior Technical Analyst,