Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Question on how to exclude Files in subdirectories on certain FS only

2009-04-02 21:09:24
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Question on how to exclude Files in subdirectories on certain FS only
From: Larry Mascarenhas <LMascare AT verizon DOT net>
To: veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Thu, 02 Apr 2009 21:06:06 -0400
Hello,

I have a scenario whereby I want to exclude a type of file in a FS. eg I
have /u, /u1 etc. Each of these FS have subdirectories
/u/subdir1,
/u/subdir1/subdir2...
/u/subdir2/subdir3....

/u1/subdir1/subdir2...
/u1/subdir2/subdir3...

... etc)

The go down a few (maybe 5-6) levels.

I need to exclude files (eg *.o) in FS /u and its subdirectories, but
not in /u1. So my exclude file looks like this

/u/subdir*/*.o
/u/subdir*/*/*.o

Apart from slowing down my processing (the .o files is just an example),
it will actually speed up the backup because I can exclude 500Gig off a
700Gig FS.

But of course, this doesn't work too well. Any pointers in the general
direction regarding setting up a good regular expression match would
help tremendously. Thanks.

--

Larry Mascarenhas
LMascare AT comcast DOT net