Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Moving the NetBackup Master Server from host A to B.

2009-03-30 07:42:06
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Moving the NetBackup Master Server from host A to B.
From: Justin Piszcz <jpiszcz AT lucidpixels DOT com>
To: veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2009 07:38:50 -0400 (EDT)
Hello all,

I have been using NetBackup for several years now, and, we all know
you cannot officially change the master server hostname and then
perform a catalog restore onto a new host and then expect everything
to work just fine.

I have a few questions/was wondering, is there anyway to work-around
this, here are my thoughts/ideas, I am looking for any suggestions that
may help to facilitate moving the master from one host to another as
time progresses, you want to move your master onto new hardware to
keep up with the times, now, for the questions:

1. During an initial NetBackup 6.5.x installation, it asks you for the
name of the server and for the name of the EMM server.  Has anyone
tried using a generic name here, rather than using the hostname of
the box?

For example, say my master server hostname is: widget.mycompany.com

Now, during the installation process, I *presume* if I enter in some
random name, it will not work unless its in the /etc/hosts file,
therefore, add this to /etc/hosts:

127.0.0.1    nbkupsvr1

Now, is it possible to install NetBackup specifying the server name
as nbkupsvr1 and the EMM server name as the same thing?

The idea here, would then be, on the second server where you plan on
"migrating" NetBackup to, you add that same entry into /etc/hosts and
then perform a catalog restore, would this bring back the environment
exactly as it was onto the new host?

Why am I asking this?  If such a method were possible, then one
would not need to import tapes or do anything special other than a
regular catalog backup, scp it to the second machine and perform a
catalog restore.

I know the name of the master is hardcoded into all of the backup
images, but if you define it in the beginning, can it be a generic
name as long as that name is added to /etc/hosts?

--

If this idea will not work, what other options are available to
move from host A to host B without getting rid of host A first (or

I look forward towards any and all ideas ang suggestions, thank you.

--

Note, I am aware of the -dpath option to another server but was told this
is not recommended.

Justin.