Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Not all drives appear to be used

2009-03-27 06:55:27
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Not all drives appear to be used
From: mcw012765 <netbackup-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>
To: VERITAS-BU AT MAILMAN.ENG.AUBURN DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2009 06:52:11 -0400
I tried all of the suggestions and still had the problem.  I contacted Symantec
and we got it fixed.  Here is a summary:

ISSUE REPORTED: Not all 10 drives are in use at any given time backups will use
only 8 drives randomly. But it will always be any 2 drives out of the 10 that
won't be used.

INITIAL INVESTIGATION:
-Max jobs per client is set to 99 under Host Properties >> Master Server >>
Global Attributes
-Max concurrent drives is set to 10 under Storage Units >> Problem Storage Unit.

TROUBLESHOOTING:
-Ran robtest (s d) to check if the two drives already had a tape stuck in them.
No.
-Guessing that it is an nbrb allocation issue.
-We ran <Install Drive>:\Veritas\netbackup\bin\admincmd\nbrbutil -dump to check
the point in time MDS Allocations within EMM.
-Saw two orphaned allocations without any attributes matching current
allocations.

MdsAllocation allocationKey=7191130 jobType=16 mediaKey=4002098 mediaId=002033
driveKey=0 driveName= drivePath= stuName= masterServerName=mfbback01
mediaServerName=mfbback01 ndmpTapeServerName= diskVolumeKey=0 mountKey=0
linkKey=0 fatPipeKey=0 scsiResType=0 serverStateFlags=0

MdsAllocation allocationKey=7191132 jobType=16 mediaKey=4000992 mediaId=002016
driveKey=0 driveName= drivePath= stuName= masterServerName=mfbback01
mediaServerName=mfbback01 ndmpTapeServerName= diskVolumeKey=0 mountKey=0
linkKey=0 fatPipeKey=0 scsiResType=0 serverStateFlags=0

-Looks like nbrb is holding up further resource allocation due to these
orphaned alloc holds.

-Released the holds by running nbrbutil -releasemds <allocation key as
underline above>
-Verified last written date on one of the media by running nbemmcmd -listmedia
-mediaid 002033. It was dating back to 30th January 2009.
-This is roughly the time frame when the issue started.
-After releasing the holds we are now able to fire up jobs on them drives.

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions.  I think I am seeing improvement from
setting the max jobs higher.