Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] VMWare ESX and VMWare ESXi Backups

2009-03-27 01:48:44
Subject: [Veritas-bu] VMWare ESX and VMWare ESXi Backups
From: Crowey <netbackup-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>
To: VERITAS-BU AT MAILMAN.ENG.AUBURN DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2009 01:45:27 -0400

linux4guru wrote:
> Just curious about this backup - does it allow you to backup a vm while it is
> running?
>
> I am new to this so, please go easy on me.
>
> Thanks for understanding...
>
> thomas

Yes mate, the vmbk backups are taken while the VM guests are running.

One thing though, it doesn't work if you've taken a snapshot of the VM guest
using the VMware Management software (ie., Virtual Centre Server) - don't know
why.

That caveat aside, the software works very well, and you can't argue with its
price.