Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] question on client names

2009-03-16 15:51:29
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] question on client names
From: Ed Wilts <ewilts AT ewilts DOT org>
To: "Stafford, Geoff" <GStafford AT barclaycardus DOT com>
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2009 14:06:31 -0500
On Mon, Mar 16, 2009 at 12:28 PM, Stafford, Geoff <GStafford AT barclaycardus DOT com> wrote:

The need to use FQDNs is, imho, a sign that you don’t trust your DNS.

I trust the DNS - I have extensive DNS experience and our company would be down without a fully functioning DNS infrastructure.  Ours works.

FQDNs are a PITA if you ask me and I would rather take the time to make something as mission critical as DNS work right instead of hiding the real problem.

FQDNs make it absolutely clear what's going on.  Remember, you can't do a backup using a short form name anyway - internally, you're resolving to a fqdn whether you like it or not.  You're not only relying on FQDNs, but you're also relying on the search lists configured properly everywhere.

You can take all the short cuts you want, but not taking the short cuts saves you headaches later, as MANY people have found out.
    .../Ed

Ed Wilts, RHCE, BCFP, BCSD, SCSP, SCSE
ewilts AT ewilts DOT org