Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] RMAN to backup big empty DB

2009-03-14 14:24:39
Subject: [Veritas-bu] RMAN to backup big empty DB
From: Dennis Peacock <netbackup-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>
To: VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Sat, 14 Mar 2009 11:48:58 -0400
On your master/media server, you may want to check and see if you have the
following tuning parameters in /usr/openv/netbackup/db/config:

NUMBER_DATA_BUFFERS
SIZE_DATA_BUFFERS
SIZE_DATA_BUFFERS_RESTORE

These are text files inside the db/config directory on Unix. These can be
"tuned" to give you better (or worse) performance on your backup. An example of
settings would be:

NUMBER_DATA_BUFFERS - 32
SIZE_DATA_BUFFERS - 262144
SIZE_DATA_BUFFERS_RESTORE - 262144

This is what I have for LTO-4 drives and I get very good performance out of
them.

Also with Oracle RMAN, there are RMAN parameters that can be
set/changed/tweaked to see where you can get the best overall RMAN performance.
We can usually backup about 14TB in about 6 hours via 8 tape drives (as an
example).