Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] NBU 6 and archive bit

2009-03-10 19:02:36
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] NBU 6 and archive bit
From: "Wilkinson, Alex" <alex.wilkinson AT dsto.defence.gov DOT au>
To: veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2009 06:43:57 +0900
    0n Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 09:01:54AM +1100, Wilkinson, Tim wrote:

    >I've recently moved some data to a different volume and did a full
    >backup after the move. I then updated the permissions of the data in the
    >new volume and as expected, the incremental backup backed-up the data in
    >the new volume.
    >However, the scheduled incremental that ran last night is still going
    >and it seems to be backing up all the data in the new volume, almost
    >like it had never known it had been backed-up incrementally the previous
    >night. I would expect some of the files to have been changed since the
    >first incremental but not the whole lot.
    >I'm guessing this may have something to do with archive bits and NBU
    >thinks the files haven't already been backed-up incrementally.
    >
    >Why would NBU not think the files have been backed-up and keep
    >backing-up all the same files twice in a row?

G'Day Tim,

CC'ing RB to keep him aware of the archive bit issues.

Something must be resetting the archive bit(s) on your filesystem.
When you do a permission change did that permission change traverse
(walk) the entire (or a large part) of the filesystem ? If so then
the archive bit would have been reset on all those files/directories.

As I have said in the past, i wish we would stop using the archive bit
and move toward using mtime within our NBU environment. Its like banging
my head against a brick wall though.

You may also want to read:

"The Windows archive bit is evil and must be stopped"

http://www.computerworld.com/hardwaretopics/storage/story/0,10801,100697,00.html

 -aW

IMPORTANT: This email remains the property of the Australian Defence
Organisation and is subject to the jurisdiction of section 70 of the CRIMES ACT
1914.  If you have received this email in error, you are requested to contact
the sender and delete the email.