Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Importing Old Media

2009-03-09 13:36:27
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Importing Old Media
From: "Martin, Jonathan" <JMARTI05 AT intersil DOT com>
To: <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Mon, 9 Mar 2009 13:10:03 -0400
All,

I'm having to import some 800 media from before my time.  We're looking
for email and file data to be restored.  Unfortunately, no catalog
exists from this time period.  I've hooked up a new server to the old
backup library, and I've got about 200 media loaded.  I guess my plan at
this point is to phase 1 import all the media, come up with a set of
target media, then come back and phase 2 import the target media.  For
the phase 2 imports, I've set all retentions to infinity - because I
wouldn't want to phase 2 import a 2 week incremental and have it
disappear before I got to examining the data contents.

Does anyone have any tips for doing this?  I'm pretty sure I'm on the
right track, but I don't want to get 80% thru the process and go "boy I
wish I did xyz."

Thanks,

-Jonathan