Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] NDMP performance tuning (NetApp)

2009-03-01 16:54:42
Subject: [Veritas-bu] NDMP performance tuning (NetApp)
From: Glen Vassileff <Glen.Vassileff AT sun DOT com>
To: veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Sun, 01 Mar 2009 20:42:19 +1100
We've been struggling to tune up remote NDMP backups to windows media server with LTO-4 and disk storage units attached across 1Gb network.
So far we've been getting around 25-30MB/s (40 at the very best with 2 streams to 2 tape drives) with 16 buffers x 64k each (or 63k each).

  • I wonder if anyone has experienced better performance and what parameters have been used.
  • Is there anything else we should try / tune on either NetApp or NetBackup side (so far we've been playing with Netbackup buffer sizes only).
  • What can we expect if we are to connect LTO-4 fibre drives directly to NetApp? Is it worth the effort in terms of significant performance improvement?

Regards

Glen