Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] NDMP over ethernet with NetApp.

2009-01-22 13:10:54
Subject: [Veritas-bu] NDMP over ethernet with NetApp.
From: Jeff Cleverley <jeff.cleverley AT avagotech DOT com>
To: veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2009 10:33:40 -0700
Greetings,

I'm looking at options to extend the life of our NetApp NearStore storage.  It currently gets nightly snapshots from a cluster and keeps them for 90 days.  I was looking at putting everything from days 31-90 to tape and only keep 30 days of snapshots.  To do this I was hoping to set up a new NB server and use NDMP over ethernet (remote NDMP) to the backup server, and then dump to some Gen4 tape drives.  Our current tape libraries are not compatible with the NetApps so I don't have a way to direct connect via fibre ports.  I'm also maxed out on PCI slots :-)  The current environment is legacy (5.1) and I don't have any NDMP experience.  Below are some stats about the filer and the data:

NetApp 6030 NearStore, 7.2.5.1 OS, 672 750g and 1TB disk drives, spare 10G TOE card port.
Primary data sending snapshot to the NearStore has ~50 TB used and has an average daily change rate of 3%.
Our data usage generally double every 18 months.
We have wide ranges of data sets with lots of small files (< 4K) and files larger than 10 gig.  There are no databases.

My main questions are will something like this work, and can this NetApp keep up with all the work?  Ideally I would like to put daily incrementals to tape but might have to consider going to weekly backups for things after 30 days if the environment can't do the backups in a timely manner.

Thanks,

Jeff
--

Jeff Cleverley