Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Making Expired Netbackup Tapes Unreadable

2009-01-16 12:16:28
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Making Expired Netbackup Tapes Unreadable
From: "Ed Wilts" <ewilts AT ewilts DOT org>
To: VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2009 10:55:48 -0600
On Fri, Jan 16, 2009 at 10:45 AM, rvadde <netbackup-forum AT backupcentral DOT com> wrote:

I am pretty sure that a lot of you who are working for big enterprises are aware of the legal holds and holding even the scratch tapes for the legal purposes. I have a question related to this. There is a possibility that legal might come back and ask to hold all tapes including the scratch tapes because Netbackup has a mechanism to read those tapes and import them.

Is there a way we can make Netbackup tapes as unimportable easily with out rewriting the whole tape?

One way I can think off the top of my head is to start by encrypting all of your tapes.  Then, once they expire, do a bplabel on the tape.  This will rewrite the label on the tape and throw and end-of-tape on it.  Your tape is now unreadable.  You can't send it to a data recovery firm either since the contents are encrypted.

 The opinions that I've received here suggest that we only have to go to reasonable efforts to recover data.  That does not include an import of all of the scratch tapes to see if we happen to have the data in expired images.  Once the data is gone from the catalog, we're supposed to be okay.  Until some lawyer/judge says otherwise :-(.
    .../Ed

Ed Wilts, RHCE, BCFP, BCSD, SCSP, SCSE
ewilts AT ewilts DOT org