Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Question about Storage Foundation Basic and Veritas Volume Replicator

2009-01-12 11:09:55
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Question about Storage Foundation Basic and Veritas Volume Replicator
From: "Ed Wilts" <ewilts AT ewilts DOT org>
To: "Jackson, Todd" <c-todd.jackson AT invitrogen DOT com>
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2009 09:56:00 -0600
On Mon, Jan 12, 2009 at 9:01 AM, Jackson, Todd <c-todd.jackson AT invitrogen DOT com> wrote:

Also when using Veritas Volume Replicator do you have to use the same Operating System flavor?

Meaning .. I assume you cannot have a Windows Master Server ( Production )and a Linux Master Server ( QC Master )

replicating the catalog.

Even if VVR would let you replicate it, it would not do you any good.  With VVR, you're doing block-based replication and Windows can't mount any of the popular Linux file systems and Linux can't do much with an NTFS volume.  The files are also physically different so even if you copied a catalog from a Windows system to any Unix system, you can't directly use it.

Can anyone share some of their experience using these tools?

I am just becoming familiar with these and maybe using both in the next few months.

 It sounds like you're trying to force the tools to the solution rather than focusing on your requirements.

I strongly suggest you read the HA Guide for NetBackup.  It's on the NetBackup support site.

    .../Ed

Ed Wilts, RHCE, BCFP, BCSD, SCSP, SCSE
ewilts AT ewilts DOT org