Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Tape media destruction questions.

2009-01-07 10:17:46
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Tape media destruction questions.
From: "Jeff Lightner" <jlightner AT water DOT com>
To: "James Osbourn" <jo4 AT sanger.ac DOT uk>, "Justin Piszcz" <jpiszcz AT lucidpixels DOT com>
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2009 10:06:20 -0500
You might want to degauss even before sending out to such a company.

At least one poster on this list noted how he had gotten "used" tapes
that were supposedly wiped but on checking he found other people's data.

As for us we degauss any bad tapes after images have expired in NBU.  We
don't destroy until then on the off chance we'll need to send to someone
like Pivar to try to extract what can be extracted.