Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Tape media destruction questions.

2009-01-07 10:09:42
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Tape media destruction questions.
From: "Ed Wilts" <ewilts AT ewilts DOT org>
To: "Justin Piszcz" <jpiszcz AT lucidpixels DOT com>
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2009 08:59:58 -0600
On Wed, Jan 7, 2009 at 8:43 AM, Justin Piszcz <jpiszcz AT lucidpixels DOT com> wrote:

1. How do you handle it?
2. You can send tapes off-site to Iron Mountain, degauss them before you
send them off-site, that is one option.

Iron Mountain also offers a tape destruction service.  For a fee, of course.

3. How much are the machines that "securely" and physically destroy the
tape media?
4. If they're physically destroyed, how do you deal with the tape shards,
how do you dispose of the material?

That's why we pay a fee to have it done.  So we don't have to deal with the garbage.

We have never to worry about degausing tapes because for starters, we encrypt all of them.  Even if they sit on a pallet here waiting for enough tapes to be sent out for destruction, we're still okay.  That's one of the many advantages with an "encrypt ALL of the tapes" policy.

    .../Ed

Ed Wilts, RHCE, BCFP, BCSD, SCSP, SCSE
ewilts AT ewilts DOT org