Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] assigning only a portion of tape drives to mediaservers

2009-01-06 13:03:28
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] assigning only a portion of tape drives to mediaservers
From: <judy_hinchcliffe AT administaff DOT com>
To: <Gregory.Geyer AT avnet DOT com>, <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2009 11:50:35 -0600

My setup is the same, all drives to all servers.

If you are using a drive and the SAN media server is not in need of a second one, why would it keep scanning all the drives?

I have had drives go down for some reason or another, but it only goes down on a media server that tried to use it.

So say I have 4 servers who can use a drive.

Server A tries to use it and it has issues, server A downs the drive.

If you look at the drive, it is now mixed, as only server A has it down, the other three still show it up.

Now say server B tries to use it, so server B downs it.  The drive is still mixed, two servers saying down, and 2 servers who have no clue because they have not used it.

This makes me think that it does NOT try to look at drives unless it tires to use it.

I may be wrong, but based on what I have seen, I don’t see where the server is checking the other drives if it does not need one.