Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Media management DB out of sync.

2009-01-05 20:04:27
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Media management DB out of sync.
From: Jeff Cleverley <jeff.cleverley AT avagotech DOT com>
To: veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Mon, 05 Jan 2009 17:49:28 -0700
Greetings,

I have posted several times in the past about trying to clean up frozen tapes.  I have had limited success with the results.  The problem seems to be that there are 2 parts associated with the media management piece but only one seems to get cleaned up.  Here is an example for tape BK7626.

#ROOT coda $ vmquery -m BK7626
Could not query by media ID BK7626: volume does not exist in database (35)
#ROOT coda $ bpmedia -unfreeze -m BK7626
requested media id was not found in NB media database and/or MM volume database

It seems like the tape is nowhere to be found.  However I get this when I run bpmedialist:

BK7626   8      0   04/21/2007 03:55      N/A            hcart           0     0
                0       N/A               N/A           FROZEN

It shows information about the tape such as the retention period, create date, and the status as FROZEN.  Every time a backup tries to use the tape after it has been deleted it is immediately rejected saying it is frozen.

I've tried several things including all of the below with several variants:

vmdelete -m BK7626
bpexpdate -d 0 -m BK7626 -force
bpexpdate -deassignempty -m BK7626 -force
bpmedia -unfreeze -m BK7626
vmquery -deassignbyid BK7626 2 0 -force     # pool number 2 is "backup"

I can't figure out how to clean out these frozen tape entries.  These happened when the tape library has an error.  It has frozen ~150 tapes over 2 separate occurrences and I really would like to get these tapes back into my scratch pool.  I have spot written data do several of these tapes and they are all fine.

Whatever fix that comes up also should have a way to specify the pool the entry is in.  I have one media that shows up as frozen in the backup pool and one that shows it is valid in the NetBackup pool.  I may have others like that but haven't sorted through everything yet.

Thanks,

Jeff
--

Jeff Cleverley