Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] LTO4 recognized as DLT

2008-12-19 16:15:54
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] LTO4 recognized as DLT
From: "Rosenkoetter, Gabriel" <Gabriel.Rosenkoetter AT radian DOT biz>
To: "'A Darren Dunham'" <ddunham AT taos DOT com>, "veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu" <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2008 16:03:04 -0500
Um... there is no such thing as HCART4. You have to decide whether you're going
to define your LTO-4 drives as HCART3 (and risk getting all your LTO-4 media
frozen when NetBackup puts it in an LTO-3 drive) or define your LTO-4 drives as
HCART (and not get to use LTO-3 media in them). No, neither of those is
attractive, which is why getting the new physical media types ("eventually"),
which functions along a drive and media capability model rather than just
generational tiering (Can a drive read this media? Can it write it if it's
blank? Can it append to it at the current density (think IBM media types)? Can
it encrypt to it?), but don't hold your breath.

As for the original poster, NetBackup labeled that media as DLT because that's
what your barcode rules told it to do. Go fix those.

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
Radian Group Inc, Senior Systems Engineer