Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Backup file Listing revisited for NBU 6.x

2008-12-19 12:45:44
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Backup file Listing revisited for NBU 6.x
From: A Darren Dunham <ddunham AT taos DOT com>
To: VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2008 17:23:29 +0000
On Fri, Dec 19, 2008 at 11:03:31AM -0600, Peacock Dennis - dpeaco wrote:
> It's not that "I" don't trust it, it's that the customer requires that
> info for the SAS70 Audit of their backups. So it has to be part of the
> "audit report".

What I'm saying is that it's not clear if you're trying to glean this
information from the media itself, or if you're wanting to query the
catalog.

(I've never done any audits like this.  I either use the catalog, or we
do a real restore and see if the data is good).

If you want media analysis then:  is everything on tape, or do you have
any disk devices?  Do you allow tape multiplexing?

The catalog tells you where on tape every image fragment is (again,
visible via 'bpimagelist').  You can position the tape you need to that
point with OS tools (mt fsf [...]) and read it directly.  Unless you're
doing multiplexing or NDMP backups, it's a tar file and you can display
the contents directly.

NDMP backups are in host-native format.  So you'd have to do a lot more
work if you wanted to peer into them.  Multiplexing makes the on-tape
format much different.  Hopefully you're not doing that if you want to
read the filenames directly.

Another option is to use 'bpverify' which checks the tape volume image
against what the catalog has, and then if it checks out ok, just print
the catalog file list.  That avoids having to do your own reads of the
tape.  I presume it would work with multiplexed backups as well.

--
Darren