Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Confusing disk staging method

2008-12-18 15:42:36
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Confusing disk staging method
From: mkgunderson AT mmm DOT com
To: veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2008 14:22:04 -0600

One correction to the Basic Disk Staging as we found out is that there are no settable high water marks for Basic Disk Staging.  The hard-coded maximum is 98% of your basic storage disk.  It is my guess this is done so that you will want to purchase the Shared Disk Option.  You can still manually start the destaging process; however, it is a real pain in the butt to keep on top of your filling volumes.

Try to prevent the situation where multiple jobs write to a storage unit at one time and fill it to capacity. Once the storage unit is full, none of the jobs can complete and all the jobs fail due to a disk full condition. To reduce the number of jobs that are allowed to write to the storage unit, decrease the Maximum concurrent jobs setting. For more information, see “Maximum concurrent jobs” on page 231.

The high water mark does not apply to storage units that are used for basic disk staging. For more information about this type of staging, see “Basic disk staging” on page 244 of the Veritas NetBackup 6.5 Administrators Guide for UNIX and Linux, Volume 1.

Mike