Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] How to plan out policy(schedules), [...]

2008-12-12 13:07:07
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] How to plan out policy(schedules), [...]
From: "bob944" <bob944 AT attglobal DOT net>
To: <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2008 12:47:23 -0500
> This is a really well-thought-out answer to his question.
> Although I don't agree with ALL of your recommendations (I
> don't like frequency-based schedules for fulls), this is
> actually a pretty good summary of what someone should do to
> setup a new backup environment.  You've inspired me to blog
> about the same.  (Of course, I may use my own opinions...) ;)

Thank you, Curtis.  I'm just a simple guy; complex setups make my hair
hurt and I've have had enough "Oops, forgot about ____" moments that I
use simplicity to minimize them.

The other approach that I love (though I'd never implement it unless I
had beaucoup time to get the coding right end-to-end) is the exact
opposite:  one person on this list (sorry, I don't rember who you are)
who has a bajillion clients with a policy for each one with an automated
setup, like a scratch-built backup provisioning system.  Took a week for
the concept to grow on me, and I can see it for a very experienced shop
with a fluid mix of clients.