Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] How to plan out policy(schedules), [...]

2008-12-12 11:06:11
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] How to plan out policy(schedules), [...]
From: "Ed Wilts" <ewilts AT ewilts DOT org>
To: "Curtis Preston" <cpreston AT glasshouse DOT com>
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2008 09:54:01 -0600
On Fri, Dec 12, 2008 at 9:34 AM, Curtis Preston <cpreston AT glasshouse DOT com> wrote:
Bob,

This is a really well-thought-out answer to his question.  Although I don't agree with ALL of your recommendations (I don't like frequency-based schedules for fulls), this is actually a pretty good summary of what someone should do to setup a new backup environment.  You've inspired me to blog about the same.  (Of course, I may use my own opinions...) ;)

The key opinion that we all know you'll disagree with is one policy per server, which Bob apparently doesn't like and we know that you.  "The man in the suit" vs "the man in the yellow shirt" discussion, for those of who were at the customer forum in Roseville in October.  :-)

Personally, I agree with Bob on frequency-based schedules for fulls.  Calendar-based schedules only make sense if you have a strict business requirement for say, an end-of-quarter backup after the books close.

The key thing to always remember is to keep things as absolutely simple as possible.  Make it easy for other people (new employees, support folks, contractors) to see what the heck you've done a year or more after you set it up.  The more complicated you make it, the harder it is to support.  The more you deviate from a "normal" configuration, the more likely it is you'll trigger bugs in future NetBackup releases.   Simple is good.
    .../Ed

Ed Wilts, RHCE, BCFP, BCSD, SCSP, SCSE
ewilts AT ewilts DOT org