Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Encryption - LTO-4 or Media Server

2008-12-11 20:22:07
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Encryption - LTO-4 or Media Server
From: shred625 <netbackup-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>
To: VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2008 14:27:17 -0500
I have had the pitfalls of using MSEO and I can tell you that it is a bad idea
for LTO4 drive. The impact on backups was the standard 15-20% and that was
something I could easily deal with. The problem stemmed from the restore side.

I was seeing restores move to a crawl. To give you some kind of qualification
to this I might see a 2TB volume take 3-5 days to restore.

I ended up moving to LTO4 hardware encryption. The backup and restore speeds
have both improved and the only issue that you will have is you have to use
LTO4 tapes or else they wont encrypt. The setup is also very easy and did not
run into any problems.
.