Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] BESR vs NB BMR

2008-12-03 17:35:03
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] BESR vs NB BMR
From: Brendan Clover <Brendan.Clover AT unisa.edu DOT au>
To: "veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu" <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2008 08:41:03 +1030
Hi,

We use BESR for backing up the c:\ drive of our Windows servers.  It is very
good, backups are easy, restores work and management through the management
console is very easy.

The only real problems we have with it are that occasionally the service will
hang on a client requiring a restart of the service (no biggie) and it is
susceptible to network contention, i.e. if your client or backup store's
network is being hammered, the BESR job will fail rather than just be slow.

We have only begun planning our BMR implementation so I can't give any
comparisons functionality wise but the reasons we are looking at BMR are:

- Cost, BMR is free with our NB enterprise license, BESR is AUD1100 a server +
AUD2500 for the management software, with close on 200 Windows servers, it is
very expensive
- Flexibility, BESR will only backup Windows servers (although BMR doesn't
backup Windows 2008 servers), BMR gives us the option to also backup our
Solaris and RHEL servers
- Straight to tape, currently we send our BESR images to disk and then back
that up, with BMR we can go straight to tape and restore from tape.
- Single instance storage, BESR provides no SIS facilities.  With Windows 2008
images starting at around 10GB, disk space is becoming an issue for storing the
images.

Regards,

Brendan Clover
Information Technologist