Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] SLP - doing it manually

2008-11-26 09:10:38
Subject: [Veritas-bu] SLP - doing it manually
From: "David McMullin" <David.McMullin AT CBC-Companies DOT com>
To: "veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu" <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2008 08:56:01 -0500

When running Storage Life Cycle Policies, jobs queue up for duplication.

When the duplication jobs run, it first allocates a tape drive, then searches for a tape. If either the source or destination tape it needs is already in use, the duplication job sits there queued, waiting for the tape. This means the drive is also idle, awaiting tapes to be freed up.

Is there a way to have SLP search for next job taking into account tapes in use already, so it maximizes the tape drives?

I have 24 drives, and often am limited to 4 or 5 duplication jobs while the others are waiting for a tape - after a busy day, I can have hundreds of duplication jobs queued, and they all seem to want the same tape!

I am thinking that I should be able to run a script that can optimize my use of tapes and drives, and at the same time expand my reporting/alerting on these SLP jobs – anyone already have this type of script in place or thoughts on reinventing this particular wheel?