Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Mutiple NICS on a Master/Media

2008-11-20 12:44:31
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Mutiple NICS on a Master/Media
From: "Ed Wilts" <ewilts AT ewilts DOT org>
To: "Clooney, David" <david.clooney AT bankofamerica DOT com>
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2008 11:21:14 -0600
On Thu, Nov 20, 2008 at 10:20 AM, Clooney, David <david.clooney AT bankofamerica DOT com> wrote:
They will be trying to backup a couple of TB's of data throughout the week, problem is that their network is only fast Ethernet 100mb and all the netbackup clients reside on the same subnet as the Master/Media server.

The bottleneck is obviously the 100Mb NIC on the master media server.

Has anyone any advice if having multiple interfaces on your master on the same subnet, to possibly use specific routes etc for the clients etc ? If at all possible?

We've done trunking on our media servers and it's working well.  It's going to depend on your switch infrastructure and each client will still be limited to 100Mbps (obviously) but you should be able to back up multiple clients to the same master/media at the same time.

If you only have 100Mbps switches throughout the network, you may be limited in your trunking capabilities too.  Time for you do some research with your network folks.

    .../Ed

Ed Wilts, RHCE, BCFP, BCSD, SCSP, SCSE
ewilts AT ewilts DOT org