Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Upgrading solaris and NB at the same time

2008-11-19 16:19:12
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Upgrading solaris and NB at the same time
From: Rusty.Major AT sungard DOT com
To: "Travis Kelley" <rhatguy AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2008 14:51:01 -0600

The way we have done it several times here is to get everything ready on the new server from an OS and hardware perspective. Make sure your hostname on the new server is the same as what NBU knows and install NBU and patch it up to the same version. Once you're ready to go live, shut down NBU on the original server and tar the /usr/openv directory up and copy it over to the new server. Untar the tarball to /usr/openv (if you're fancy you can do this all in flight).  Give the new master the original IPs (or update all other media servers and clients in your environment or DNS if you run that) and test network communication. If you have any drives/libraries/external storage zoned to your Master you will need to make the necessary hardware and SAN changes and update the global device db.

It's a pretty simple process and, to me, the trickiest part is making sure the OS changes are made properly and are persistent. I will mention that we have only done this process with 5.1 MP5/6 moving from Solaris 8/9 to Solaris 10. Once you get it done, I'd let it cook for a bit before upgrading to make sure there aren't any surprises lurking that might surface during or after the upgrade. Besides, depending on your catalog size, this one step could take the better part of a day.

Good luck!

Rusty Major, MCSE, BCFP, VCS ▪ Sr. Storage Engineer ▪ SunGard Availability Services ▪ 757 N. Eldridge Suite 200, Houston TX 77079 ▪ 281-584-4693
Keeping People and Information Connected® ▪ http://availability.sungard.com/
P Think before you print
CONFIDENTIALITY:  This e-mail (including any attachments) may contain confidential, proprietary and privileged information, and unauthorized disclosure or use is prohibited.  If you received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender and delete this e-mail from your system.

"Travis Kelley" <rhatguy AT gmail DOT com>
Sent by: veritas-bu-bounces AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu

11/19/2008 01:23 PM

veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
cc
Subject
[Veritas-bu] Upgrading solaris and NB at the same time

We have an old solaris 2.7 master/media that we would like to retire.
I would like to copy everything from /usr/openv onto a solaris 10
server and then go through the upgrade process (4.5 -> 5.x -> 6.x).
Does anyone know if this will work?  Will I be able to upgrade the NB
install after copying it onto the sol 10 machine?

--
Sent from my mobile device