Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Change in Media Server Names / IP's - Advice please

2008-11-18 14:57:58
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Change in Media Server Names / IP's - Advice please
From: "Reynolds, Susan Kathleen" <SReynolds2 AT semprautilities DOT com>
To: "Ed Wilts" <ewilts AT ewilts DOT org>, <judy_hinchcliffe AT administaff DOT com>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2008 11:42:42 -0800
I am in complete agreement with Ed.

From: veritas-bu-bounces AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu [mailto:veritas-bu-bounces AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu] On Behalf Of Ed Wilts
Sent: Tuesday, November 18, 2008 8:58 AM
To: judy_hinchcliffe AT administaff DOT com
Cc: simon.weaver AT astrium.eads DOT net; veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu

On Tue, Nov 18, 2008 at 10:28 AM, <judy_hinchcliffe AT administaff DOT com> wrote:
My windows guys do this to me all the time.
Some times with out informing me that a new server name "replaced" an
old server name.

I have had to keep a spread sheet of
Oldname=>newname=>newname
So if I have to do restores I know the old name before the move.

It's one thing to do it for a normal client.  It's a totally different matter to do it to media servers.  It gets even harder when the media server release is so old it's just about to, if it hasn't already, drop off the supported list.

You just don't do go around blindly changing media server names.

    .../Ed

Ed Wilts, RHCE, BCFP, BCSD, SCSP, SCSE
ewilts AT ewilts DOT org