Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] NOM 6.5.2 and off-line master server

2008-11-17 17:24:56
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] NOM 6.5.2 and off-line master server
From: "tim burlowski" <tim.burlowski AT gmail DOT com>
To: mkgunderson AT mmm DOT com
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2008 16:07:07 -0600
The "partially online" state can be normal in certain cases. In the
ordinary course of events, like a catalog backup for instance we may
lose contact with one of the "collectors'. When this occurs we will
attempt to re-engage that collector in 10 minute intervals. During
this period of time no data should be lost.

There are a couple of issues that concern me however.

If you have partially online all the time and it doesn't clear up then
 there is an unresolved defect that we need to fix and you would need
to open a support case. Since I have heard periodic reports of this
happening in the field I am motivated to help support and engineering
get to the bottom of it. I would appreciate it if you would please
send me your support case number directly, so I can track this issue.

I also believe that if we need to be better about when we display
"partially online" because it is most often interpreted as a state
where action needs to be taken. If your cluster management software
said that a service group was "partially online" you would want to
take action and quickly. I'm working with engineering to make this
distinction crisper in a future release.

--
tim burlowski
Technical Product Manager