Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Storage Lifecycle Policies - SLP - manually running a failed job

2008-11-11 17:48:00
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Storage Lifecycle Policies - SLP - manually running a failed job
From: Rusty.Major AT sungard DOT com
To: "David McMullin" <David.McMullin AT CBC-Companies DOT com>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2008 15:30:31 -0600

First off, SLP will do nothing with the job until the backup job completes. So if you have an admin issue cancel all and it is on the backup step and the job fails as a result of this, SLP never knows about it and won't do anything.

Once the job is backed up successfully, it falls into the hands of SLP and it will complete whatever steps you have listed for it. The job will sit at an infinite retention until this is done, that way if one or more of the steps fail, the image is still 'safe'.

For watching images and what's going on with SLP you can also use the nbstlutil command. You can manually rerun a job using this command. Well, maybe 'rerun' isn't the proper term as you can set them active and inactive or cancel pending operations.

NBU, controls SLP operation by touch files which tell it how often to run, and the minimum and maximum batch job sizes in GB (this is similar, but not the same as the DSSU touch files). It sounds like you're already familiar with these, but if not, take a look at AdminGuide I, page 264 under the heading of "Optional duplication job configuration". By default, NBU will kick off a dupe session every 5 minutes and it will try to dupe the jobs up to three times. If they keep failing after that, it will retry once every 24 hours until it succeeds.

I know Symantec is listening, so if you find something up with SLP that you would like enhanced, post it.

I hope that helps,

Rusty Major, MCSE, BCFP, VCS ▪ Sr. Storage Engineer ▪ SunGard Availability Services ▪ 757 N. Eldridge Suite 200, Houston TX 77079 ▪ 281-584-4693
Keeping People and Information Connected® ▪ http://availability.sungard.com/
P Think before you print
CONFIDENTIALITY:  This e-mail (including any attachments) may contain confidential, proprietary and privileged information, and unauthorized disclosure or use is prohibited.  If you received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender and delete this e-mail from your system.

"David McMullin" <David.McMullin AT CBC-Companies DOT com>
Sent by: veritas-bu-bounces AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu

11/11/2008 01:46 PM

"veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu" <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
cc
Subject
[Veritas-bu] Storage Lifecycle Policies - SLP - manually running a failed job

I have SLP active and working great on HP-UX master/media servers at 6.5.2A.

The issue I am seeking assistance with is twofold:
Understanding the SLP recycle process and how to manage it.

If I issue this command:
'bpimagelist -L -idonly -stl_incomplete'

It lists jobs not completed yet. (default is last 24 hours) so I really use
'bpimagelist -L -idonly -hoursago 72 -stl_incomplete' to get the last 3 days.

However - when I sort it using ' bpimagelist -L -idonly -hoursago 72 -stl_incomplete | sort -M -kr3 -kr4n -kr5n'
I can see that some of my jobs are awaiting their copy - often for days.

Is there a way to manually run one or more of these jobs?
Does anyone know how NetBackup determines what to run and when?

The only parameters I am familiar with are based on size or time to wait before first try and retry time.

If my operator inadvertently issues a 'cancel all jobs' from the Admin console, which ones run next?

Thanks in advance!