Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Encrypting offsite tapes

2008-11-11 13:23:41
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Encrypting offsite tapes
From: Travis Kelley <travis.kelley AT etrade DOT com>
To: Ed Wilts <ewilts AT ewilts DOT org>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2008 13:04:31 -0500
Don't forget hardware based encryption using LTO-4 tape drives.
Netbackup 6.5.2 has key management functionality built in.  To activate
the hardware encryption on LTO4 using NB6.5.2 after you have created
keys you just write backups to a pool prefixed with ENCR_* for instance
ENCR_Offsite.  Using this you could decide based on which volume pool
data was written whether or not it would be encrypted.  Your normal
backups could be written to a normal pool and then when vault did the
duplication those images could be written to a hardware encrypted pool.

The same cost caveat applies here if you don't already have LTO4 as in
Ed's #3:)