Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] NOM 6.5.

2008-11-10 11:00:59
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] NOM 6.5.
From: "Ed Wilts" <ewilts AT ewilts DOT org>
To: "Scott Jacobson" <SJACOBSO AT novell DOT com>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2008 09:31:19 -0600
On Sun, Nov 9, 2008 at 9:08 PM, Scott Jacobson <SJACOBSO AT novell DOT com> wrote:
And so it may be time again to have NOM and Aptare discussion.

Not really - they solve different problems.   Aptare is a long-term reporting tool.  It has almost no operational abilities.  NOM, as its name says, is for operations.  It has a short-term view of the environment and can do a lot of things that Aptare can't, like automatically up a down tape drive, send out SNMP traps, etc.

NOM will never replace StorageConsole.  However, it may be good enough for people who don't care about the stuff that StorageConsole does that NOM doesn't - and that list isn't short.  NOM doesn't replace Veritas Backup Reporter either.

NOM is free and can co-exist with StorageConsole.  Get NOM running in your environment and see what it does for you.  If you have no more reporting needs, you're done.  If you still have reporting needs, then look at the various products from the different vendors and see which one solves your problems.

Once we get our current resolved, I expect to be running both NOM and StorageConsole for a while but I don't see how NOM will replace StorageConsole either.  I don't believe that NOM will allow me to have a year or more of history to report on.

I've asked Aptare several times for reports on throughput by media server.  So far, they haven't delivered but I noticed in my brief time using NOM that it has it (for the limited history that NOM held).

   .../Ed