Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Data Domain vs Quantum DXi

2008-11-06 20:25:18
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Data Domain vs Quantum DXi
From: Robin Small <Robin.Small AT fresno DOT gov>
To: "VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu" <VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2008 17:08:45 -0800

Thanks to the folks that commented on EMC's Avamar, it was helpful.

I'm curious now about DataDomain & Quantum DXi.

We run XioTech SANs and they're bundling a DD960(something) head on to the XioTech SAN.

We're also using ADIC (now Quantum) for our Tape hardware. So those two bubbled up to the top.

I'm meeting with our Quantum sales & engineer guys on Monday to talk about it, and I was watching a DD/XioTech webinar about their offering that looks cool. Both look appealing.

I'm curious for the dedup users out there what your experience has been with either DD or Quantum.

I've been poking through Curtis' blogs about the subject, so I get it that the Quantum can do either inline or post, and the DD is pure inline. My RPO isn't as critical (most of my users are happy with the prior night's data), so PostProcessing isn't a game-changer.

Thanks,

~ Robin